Tuesday, March 31, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog...

So today is the day! Today started like any other....I woke up, exercised, made my wife breakfast in bed, took a walk on the beach, took the Lamborghini to work...{WAIT} That is my fantasy life. In reality I woke up, showered, had a diet Dr. Pepper for breakfast, kissed the wife and headed off in our soccer mom ride. So while today started like most, I knew today would be the day that I would do something that would change my life forever. Little did I know that I would actually embark on two separate endeavours that would not only change my life but that of countless others on the same day.

If you are reading this you already know the 1st thing that I finally decided to do: Blog! I have been wanting to do it for a while, but like many things was simply to lazy to actually get going. So i want to thank several people for making this possible...My mom and dad (they had me), Kelli (the wife), Erin (blogger extraordinaire), Brian (Inspiration for 1st blog), and all the other people I call friends, which I will get to as the blogging continues.

The 2nd endeavour is the subject of this, my first blog. When you hear the letters D-T-F, what comes to mind? These letters uttered one evening in cooperation with an Asian friend of mine Brian finding fencing foils online lead to the birth of a new passion: FENCING. D-T-F is an acronym for Down to Fence, this is also the the unofficial name of our newly formed fencing club. Fast forward a few weeks...the foils (swords) are in. DTF currently consist of myself and three brothers. We begin practice by emulating what we've seen on tv, movies, etc...simply swatting at each other and trying to defend from each others strikes. As the sun fades behind the mountains, we duel, look at fencing articles online, videos on YouTube (yeah we are kinda nerdy), and decide we should find which among us contains the most skill....or luck. So Brian and I are dueling for 1st and 2nd place and Brian with ninja like stamina and agility makes a lunge forward and parts my lips with the tip of his foil inserting the tip all the way to the back of my mouth landing the tip against my molar and whatever the space between your top and bottom teeth are called. As he quickly withdrew his blood soaked (well this might be an exaggeration) sword, I proclaimed myself to be the winner (we had deemed head shots as an automatic disqualifier) and spit blood onto their concrete fence and then quickly tried to wipe it off. I get home anxious to show the wife my two cut lips and gash inside my mouth and she very simply says "you guys are idiots"....I guess reflecting back, it was the dumbest thing i did that day.......At least until next week I'm still number 1!!!

So that is it: We came, We fenced, and We found a new passion.

DTF Members: Eric (me), John (asian), Brian (master stabber), and David ("cool" college guy and challenged me at the end of practice, and lost also as I recall the first to use the phrase DTF, even if not referring to fencing)

More to come about life, rapping, fencing, marriage, poker, and other stupid stuff that I do and love.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world my friend! Looking forward to the posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the shout-out! I have to second Kelli's sentiment on the "you guys are idiots" but it will make for great blog material.

    I'm so glad you are doing this. Welcome to Blogland...it is quite addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So whats next? LARP-ing??! *Mary*

    ReplyDelete
  5. you hang out with John and his brothers way too much

    ReplyDelete